Diary of Additions to this Web Site.
- 8th February. A full page of amazing images of Lily Elsie at St Dunstan's (Blind Veterans UK)
- 26th January. Lily Elsie at St Dunstan's
Some great research by Blind Veterans UK
(click on image for full story)
- 23rd January. Most grateful to John P for an extract from Cecil Lewis' memoir.
- 23rd January. An older postcard added to Non-Show Gallery 16 .
- 5th October. A lovely portrait postcard added to Non-Show Gallery 16 .
- Another addition from the Gabrielle Ray web site,
a programme for
“The Truth Game” [1-7?] 1929 at Daly’s Theatre
- 13th July. Another image from a vintage Tatler 1916.
- Thanks once more to Gabrielle Ray web site for these links featuring Elsie
A flyer for The Dollar Princess
advertisement for the First Anniversary Performance (Souvenir Night) Saturday, 24th September 1910.
- and here, an excellent, clear,
Hunting picture from November 1913 (Muskerry Hunt, Cork). You don't see many of those poses in 2016!
- 10th April. A new page created to bring together what little we know about Elsie's Father.
- 10th April. It is reported that Hummingbird House,
Lewes, West Sussex, UK was so named as Elsie lived there although between which dates is uncertain.
A reference to her role in the comic opera See See during 1906. We are currently seeking further information (April 2016).
- 15th January. A faded postcard added to Non-Show Gallery 15 .
- 2nd December. A cutting, with photo, showing Elsie riding side-saddle added to the Ledbury Hunt page.
- 1st December. Two lovely postcard images added to Non-Show Gallery 15 .
- Thanks to Gabrielle Ray web site for this link featuring Elsie
Lady’s Realm, 1913.
- and here
Lily Elsie – The Blue Train – 1927.
- 17th May. A couple of greeting cards added to Non-Show Gallery 15 .
- 9th February. An amazing image added to Non-Show Gallery 15 . Thanks to John Culme's
- 9th February. Another postcard scan added to See-See Gallery. Tinted.
- 13th January. Another two pages from The Tatler 1928. linked to our Scrapbook Page. Many thanks to the Gabrielle Ray web site.
- 28th November. Something a little different this time - a page from The Tatler 1928.
Elsie and husband at Chester Races.
- 19th November. Another postcard scan added to Non-Show Gallery 15. Image degraded.
- 6th November. Another stunning image added to Non-Show Gallery 15.
- 6th September. News from David Slattery-Christie about a special edition of his book
titled 'Edwardian Beauty - Lily Elsie & The Merry Widow' - it includes the latest book, plus the Screenplay adaptation and also a new
forward with a bit more information about Sonia Berry.
- 30th July. A stunning new image of Elsie and Ivor Novello added to the Truth Game Gallery.
- 17th July. An older postcard added to Non-Show Gallery 15.
- 24th May. Three new postcards to kick off Non-Show Gallery 15.
- 24th April. Many thanks to Howard P for sending this hand tinted card for the, Non-Show Gallery 15.
- 2nd April. Another link to the Gabrielle Ray web site
Douglas, J; (1909) “Adventurers in London"
- 23rd January. Three lovely postcards in the Non-Show Gallery 14.
- 20th January. Chris H from the Gabrielle Ray web site has found a seating plan for the O.P. [Old Playgoers?] "Merry Widow" Dinner in 1909.
Hotel Cecil, Strand, W.C., [London, UK] Sunday 31st January 1909
Quite a treasure!
- 20th January. We start the year with two new post cards, including a super Rita Martin, and three cigarette cards in the Non-Show Gallery 14.
- 23rd December. Another two new cards to end the year in the Non-Show Gallery 14.
- 5th October. Nothing for a while, now two new cards for Non-Show Gallery 14 One postcard, one cigarette card.
- 25th September. Many thanks to Chris at the Gabrielle Ray Blog for sending this link, The Dollar Princess Souvenir Programme, 24th September 1910.
- 3rd July. Continuing the gardening theme, Non-Show Gallery 14. tennis courts in background.
- 8th June. This website is very grateful to CM from Glasgow for sending us a copy of this wonderful souvenir from the Merry Widow Anniversary in 1909, including some most delightful watercolours. How appropriate that this is uploaded on 8th June – the 106th anniversary!
- 18th March. And another in the same outfit. Non-Show Gallery 14 Nice onions! I wonder where this was. Redmarley?
- 14th March. Once again we are most grateful to Randy Bigham for sending in a lovely postcard of Elsie. Non-Show Gallery 14 Likely a Lucile Ltd. outfit from circa 1911.
- 29th November. A better copy of this card added to the Dollar Princess Gallery.
- 9th July. A tiny card added to the Chinese Honeymoon Gallery. I had no idea how small this cigarette card when I purchased it on-line!
- 11th April. Arthur A Borrows / Arturo Salvini was Elsie's Father? See foot of Scrap book page.
- 11th April. Many thanks to Chris at the Gabrielle Ray web site for sending me a link to his copy of the a programme for “The Merry Widow” and some postcards of Elsie recently added to his gallery.
- 16th March. A delightful new card added to Non-Show Gallery 13, kindly sent in by a reader in Canada. Interestingly, this has been titled 'Miss lily Elve'. I've not come across a typo on one of these cards before.
- 16th March. A new card added to Non-Show Gallery 13
A studio shot, including Rosie Begarine in shorts.
- 5th March. Another new book! And what a book, Staging Fashion 1880 - 1920 Edited by Michele Major (details here)
- 25th January. David Slattery-Christie has published a new edition of his book Anything But Merry with added information in existing chapters, a new last chapter and an introduction, plus an index section. There are also some new images, including Elsie on the beach at Biarritz, with Ian at their farm in Gloucestershire for the hunt, and there is also one of Elsie in Court dress.
- 25th January. We are most grateful to Catherine D for correcting some errors in our page on the Bullough Family
- January 2012 sees the eagerly awaited publication of Lucile - Her Life by Design by Randy Bryan Bigham
- 11th January. We start the year with the publication of an exciting new book Staging-Fashion-1880-1920
- Also a lecture by Prof. Michele Majer New York
- 5th December. A new card added to Non-Show Gallery 13
- 2nd October. Where to start! Five super images kindly sent in by FM added to, Non-Show Gallery 13 (3), Merry Widow Gallery 3 (1) and a stunning late photo by Cecil Beaton added to our Scrap Book (See foot of page)
- 25th August. A new card added to Non-Show Gallery 13
- 23nd August. Another wonderful newspaper article from Chicago, USA. Kindly sent in by Randy B, to whom we are most indebted. Read all about it here
- 9th August. Article from the Salford Advertiser (2011) Added to our Scrap Book kindly sent in by the Author
- 10th July. A nice early card added to Non-Show Gallery 13 Kindly sent in by The Readers' Room, bookshop in Co. Antrim.
- 10th July. A page from the Bystander 22nd May 1907 added to the Scrap Book Kindly sent in by Chris H.
- 16th June. What a delight this is! An autographed card added to Non-Show Gallery 13 Kindly send in by Bob S.
- 28th May. Lily Elsie Celebration Day 2011 held at Westminster Reference Library
- 28th April. A super card added to Chinese Honeymoon Gallery
- 27th April. An early card added to Non-Show Gallery 13 Postmarked Woolwich 1904 and very kindly send in by Mr Fitzpatrick.
- 15th April. Another early card added to Non-Show Gallery 13 This card is postparked West Hartlepool 1904 and was very kindly send in by Barney. It is clearly the same photo session as 139, also postmarked 1904.
- 2nd February. An early card added to Non-Show Gallery 13
- 11th November. Another card added to Non-Show Gallery 13
- 2nd November. Delightful picture of Ada Reeve and Wilfred Cotton (Elsie's Uncle) added to People Page Many thanks to PC in Brisbane for sending that in.
- 11th September. Five new cards, three featuring Elsie, from The Little Cherub in Little Cherub Gallery
- 22nd August. Three wonderful newspaper articles from Chicago, USA. Kindly sent in by Randy B, to whom we are most indebted. Read all about it here
- 9th August. A later card (1928?), possibly one of the last cards of Elsie, added to Non-Show Gallery 13
- 16th July. Wow! A Stereoscopic card added to Non-Show Gallery 13
I never new any existed of Elsie. Very pleased with this.
- 14th July. A delightful photo added to Non-Show Gallery 12
- 31st May. A lovely new card kindly sent in by Adalya has been added to the New Aladdin Gallery
The George Edwardes Musical Comedy Society has been formed to promote an active interest in the legacy of early British musical comedies staged by George Edwardes, the one time impresario of London's Gaiety and Daly's theatres. We plan to run a series of events presenting these musical productions in contexts evoking the historical period in which they were created. If you would like further details, please visit their web site www.musicalcomedysociety.co.uk.
- 12th February. A fabulous photo sent in by www.ednamay.net is added to the Non-Show Gallery 12
- 11th February. A few pages of an article by Elsie with Carmen Turia from The Strand magazine added to the Scrap Book
- February. I am rewritting the whole web site in XHTML. The new pages, once complete, will show the W3C logo.
- 19th January. A new card added to the 12th non-show Gallery. This card was sent in by e-mailer, Eamonn W, to whom I am most grateful.
- 22nd December. A nice end to the year. I have obtained a copy of some sheet music for Pamela, on the Shows page. And also another programme for The Truth Game, this time from Edinburgh.
- 7th December. Another new card added to the 12th non-show Gallery. This card was sent in by e-mailer, Stan D, to whom I am most grateful.
- 13th October. A most delightful new card added to the 12th non-show Gallery. This shows Elsie seated with a dog and cat. Maybe the most relaxed image in this collection? This card sent to me by Lyn M from France, to whom I am most grateful.
- 6th October. I have a request to add a link to the Edna May (1878-1947) biography site,
EdnaMay.net, which I am delighted to do. (See Links page)
- 3rd September. An early card, postmark April 1905, added to the 12th non-show Gallery. Interesting contrast to the much later images on the same page.
- 18th July. Many thanks to Randy for letting me know about a new book from the V&A, see this page.
- 4th July. Lovely item here, kindly sent in by Daniel Fearon, see this page.
- 9th June. Another card added to the 12th non-show Gallery.
- 7th June. Not an addition to this site, but a delightful story to be found on John Culme's Footlight Notes.
- 3rd June. A lovel Rita Martin card added to the 12th non-show Gallery.
- 7th April. David Howard has most kindly contributed a huge amount of research into Elsie's ancestry. So as not to 'dilute' it with my own amateur efforts, I present it on its own page here.
- 6th April. News has reached us of the formation of The George Edwardes Musical Comedy Society. See the Links Page for details.
- 18th March. Another new card, autographed, added to the 12th non-show Gallery. Thanks to H Ogden for sending this in.
- 14th March. Search results from the 1911 census. Click here.
- 7th February. A cutting from the Daily Sketch of 1946. Click here.
- 7th February. A super new card added to the 12th non-show Gallery.
- I have finally managed to acquire a couple of gramophone disks of Elsie singing. I hope to transcribe them for this web site soon.
- 19th January. Great start to the new year with this cutting from the Daily Mail in 1956 to mark Elsie's 70th Birthday. I'm very grateful to Mr B Jones for sending this in. Click here.
- 7th December, bringing us right up to date, here is an amateur production of the Merry Widow. The programme has a nice study of the original London production written by Chris Frost. Click here.
- 3rd November. Now here is a mystery! Is this really Elsie's Grandmother? Click here.
- 1st October. Delighted with this one! An illustrated magazine article from US Cosmo, December 1911 Click here.
- 31st August. A new card added to the 12th non-show Gallery.
v22nd June. Many thanks to Michael in California for letting me know that he has a scan of Elsie's Obituary on his web site. See it here.
- 18th April. A full page of new images, the Dollar Princess Exhibition Gallery, thanks to the American Museum in Britain.
- 1st March. Another card added to the 12th non-show Gallery.
- 22nd February. A new card added to the 12th non-show Gallery.
- 19th February. A most interesting contribution from the US Natal Chart
- 19th February. Another quote sent in by C Frost Scrap Book
- 1st February. Two new cards added to the 11th non-show Gallery.
- January. Finally, a print biography of Elsie is published! 'Anything but Merry!' (Click title for details) Full details to follow - just as soon as we receive our review copy.
- August. We are currently reading 'In Search of Ruritania' by David Slattery-Christy. (Authorhouse, Nov. 2006) The author is now working on a biography of Elsie, to be called 'Anything but Merry!' (Click title for details)
- 11th April. Many thanks to C Frost for transcribing some quotations from Ivor Novello, Man of the Theatre by PETER NOBLE Click here for the text.
- 21st March. A new card added to the 11th non-show Gallery.
- 3rd January. Two new cards added to the 11th non-show Gallery. One is in interesting re-work of another image. Why?
- 23rd December. Two lovely new Beagles cards added to the 11th non-show Gallery.
- 5th November. A super new image from 1930. Elsie at the British Empire Pageant Ball. Non-Show 11
- 18th October. A very badly damaged, but still interesting postcard from A Chinese Honeymoon (1903).
- 3rd October. The first postcard I have ever seen from 'Mavouneen' (1915). Gallery
- 2nd September. Managed to get a copy of the programme from Lewisham Hippodrome 1929. The Truth Game
- 12th August. This card had an epic eight month journey from Texas to join the collection. 11th non-show Gallery. Postmarked March 1908
- 23rd July. Another card added to the 11th non-show Gallery.
- 28th June. Another gem from Russell Harris, a listing of the PRO Archive.
- 27th June. Many thanks to Russell Harris for sending in a Cecil Beaton quote from 1915. Scrap Book.
- 24th June. A couple of lovely adverts from 1911. Sent to me by Randy Bigham.
- 22nd June. Another card added to the 11th non-show Gallery. A little too soft focus?
- 19th June. A pretty card added to the 11th non-show Gallery.
- 20th May. Found a copy of the theatre programme for Pamela 1917-18. For once, very reasonably priced. Hope you enjoy it.
- 2nd May. A new card added to the 3rd Merry Widow Gallery. Many thanks to Robert Franson at the San Diego Viennese Waltz Club for sending this to me.
- 24th March. New cards are getting harder to find. This one in the 11th non-show Gallery.
- 22nd February. An early card to start the 11th non-show Gallery. Probably from around 1904.
- 14th January. A new novelty card, also added to the 10th non-show Gallery.
- 11th January. First new card for a while, added to the 10th non-show Gallery.
- Lily Elsie Exhibition. Salford City Council will be mounting a small exhibit dedicated to Elsie in the Salford Museum and Art Gallery. See www.salford.gov.uk/museums or watch this space for dates and details.
- 28th July. A couple of new pictures that caught my eye at a recent sale, added to the 10th non-show Gallery.
- 25th June. Some new information about the Bulloughs in Bishopswood Scrap Book. Also, further details about Edward Bullough.
- 24th June. A new picture added to the 10th non-show Gallery.
- 23rd May. Three lovely watercolour images of Lucile costumes from The Merry Widow, added to the Hats & Frocks Page. Kindly contributed by Randy Bigham. Many thanks.
- 25th April. A new show added to the Shows Page. A fundraiser for WWI soldiers, with scans of the programme from March 1917.
- 15th April. A new picture added to the 10th non-show Gallery.
- 7th April. Considerable updating and correcting of the biography page, in light of the research carried out by Ken Craven at Salford City Council.
- 19th March. Another nice Rita Martin picture in the 10th non-show Gallery.
- 12th March. A lovely new picture added to the 10th non-show Gallery. A Rita Martin photo, she took some of the best pictures of Elsie.
- 5th February. Many thanks to Ken Craven at Salford Museum and Art Gallery for passing on the results of his research into Elsie. Thanks to Ken some significant errors in our biography page have been corrected.
- 27th January. Two new pictures added to the 10th non-show Gallery. Note that these are the same photo, with different backgrounds painted in.
- 23rd January. A magazine article from November 1953 added to the Scrap Book. Full text to follow.
- 18th January. Another early picture added to the Chinese Honeymoon Gallery.
- 9th January. Two new shows added to the Shows Page. Charity events from 1916 & 1925. Other minor corrections.
- 23rd December. A winter fashion card added to the 10th non-show Gallery.
- 22nd December. Many thanks to John Robertson for this lovely picture in the Pamela Gallery.
- 17th November. A nicer version of picture No. 93, added to the 10th non-show Gallery.
- 26th October. New pictures from Chinese Honeymoon.
- 18th October. Finally got round to adding some photos of Devonshire Mansions to the Scrap Book. Many thanks to David Noades for this.
- 23rd September. A new picture in the See See Gallery. Miss Lily Elsie, Mr Fred Emney, and Miss Amy Augarde.
- 17th September. A wonderful addition today with a scan of a 1930s visitor's book showing Elsie with Zena Dare. Scrap Book Many thanks to Patrick O'Connor for this.
- 28th August. An autographed picture in the Merry Widow Gallery.
- 26th August. A lovely new picture in the 10th non-show Gallery.
- 14th July. More pictures thanks to David Reed. This time covers of Play Pictorial Magazine.
- 9th July. A further 17 pictures from David Reed. See the See See Gallery, and A Waltz Dream and others. Still more to follow. Many thanks to David.
- 7th July. I've just added the first of a wonderful collection of pictures sent to me by David Reed. See the Pamela Gallery, and The Little Cherub in particular. More to follow.
- 4th June. Another new card from The New Aladdin. A date is pencilled on the back, 'Oct 31st 06.'
- 2nd June. Todays new card is of interest because of the date, July 1904. One of the earliest I have, 10th non-show gallery. Also the address, 'Miss J Griffiths, Upton Park, Chester. Such brevity!
- 11th May. Another addition to the 9th non-show gallery. This older card is very faded.
- 3rd May. There will be a pause in the development of this site while I take time off following the birth of our first child. Normal service will resume - in about 16 years!
- 15th April. After a short break, another postcard to add in The Pamela gallery. Much recent effort has been directed on a short side-track The Ross-on-Wye gallery (Our home town).
- 4th March. Another example of a postcard being used for advertising. The 9th non-show gallery. Also a correction to the biography page.
- 11th February. And another picture from A Chinese Honeymoon! An unusual shape this card. A Chinese Honeymoon gallery.
- 10th February. Another picture from A Chinese Honeymoon. A Chinese Honeymoon gallery.
- 6th February. At last, a cigarette card! I've been trying to purchase a cigarette card of Elsie for some time. Until now they have been out of my price range. This example is less then perfect and not part of a set - and so affordable. I have scanned both back and front. The 9th non-show gallery.
- 5th February. A short new page listing editions of The Play Pictorial magazine featuring Elsie. The Play Pictorial.
- 1st February. Starting the new month with some lovely images from The Blue Train. These are taken from the contemporary 'Play Pictorial' magazine, most generously donated by Randy Bigham. The Blue Train.
- 31st January. Some scans from the programme of The Truth Game at the Palace Theatre Manchester in 1928. The Truth Game.
- 29th January. A post card of Elsie endorsing 'the Knitroyal Sports Coat' is added to. The 9th non-show gallery. Also a rather nice advertising card for The Count of Luxembourg. Were these offered for sale or given away?
- 13th January. Three scans of lovely pictures from The New Aladdin, once more thanks to John Charles for providing these. The New Aladdin Gallery.
- 6th January. Some of the photo galleries have been re-organised to bring together five pictures from The New Aladdin (1906). These pictures were previously listed as 'non-show', so many thanks to John Charles for identifying Elsie's costume as from the role of 'Lally'. The New Aladdin Gallery.
- 31st December. A seasonal addition, a studio shot of Elsie with a snowman. The 9th non-show Gallery. Another card using the 'local post' same day delivery in 1908. 'Dear Emma, I have noticed you looking rather lonely lately so am writing to ask you what time I can see you tonight... Same day service for one half penny!
- 7th December. One new picture again for today, Elsie holding a dog. With a background of a sail boat putting to sea. The 9th non-show Gallery.
- 17th November. The Editor is most grateful to Marianne Gilchrist for a scan of the cover to the musical score of The Count of Luxembourg.
- 11th November. One new picture again for today.The 9th non-show Gallery.
- 6th November. One new picture today.The 9th non-show Gallery again.
- 29th October. Today I have added a better picture of Daly's Theatre. Theatres Page.
- 27th October. Another new picture today. Elsie in furs.The 9th non-show Gallery.
- 15th October. One new picture today. A stage scene featuring Elsie and Miss Adrienne Augarde. But which show? Postmark is 1908.The 9th non-show Gallery. (15 Nov 03. Could be The New Aladdin 1906?)
- 14th October. Elsie on film. The British Pathe News web site has a 1946 film featuring Elsie that can be downloaded. See our film page for more details.
- 13th October. One new picture for today, again Elsie in the Count of Luxembourg. The Gallery.
- 24th September. Another single new picture for today. I'm particularly pleased with this one, a rear-quarter view of one of Elsie's Lucile dresses from the Count of Luxembourg. The Gallery.
- 17th September. One new picture added today. A nice pose in costume from A Waltz Dream. The Gallery. Minor additions to Scrap Books and 'Songs' pages.
- 27th August. A lovely new picture to add today. Elsie posing as if driving a horse-drawn farm implement. The Gallery. She was a capable horse-woman but I don't imaging she spent much time sat on a mower!
- 24th August. More of the press cuttings, (See below) added. Elsie's Press Cuttings.
- 23rd August. Back after a little break working on my house. A few minor additions to the site. A link added to a wonderful interview with Elsie on John Culme's site, see Links page or Biography. An interesting new picture card on the 9th non-show page. The Gallery. Included with this is a reply card sent by the theatre to the autograph hunter, a school boy from Bath, in the West of England.
- 24th July. Five stunning new pictures today. Four on the 9th non-show page. The Gallery. One on the Pamela Page.
- 22nd July. Programme details from The Blue Train, 1927. The Blue Train.
- 13th July. I have started work on adding the press cuttings, (See below). Elsie's Press Cuttings. There are over 80 A3 pages to add so this will take a while to complete.
- 11th July. Three new pictures today. First, one of Elsie 'working in her garden," on the 9th non-show page. The Gallery. Also, two pictures of King Edward VII on the The Edwardian Times Page.
- Also this week I have received a most wonderful package containing a facsimile of a contemporary scrapbook full of Elsie's press cuttings. The information in here is just priceless and will be added to the site over the next few weeks. I am much indebted to Adam Ramet for sending me this. I'll be adding this just as fast as I can type, watch this space!
- 2nd July. A lovely new picture to mark the first anniversary of the site. Elsie in costume for 'A Chinese Honeymoon', 1930. The Gallery. 1526 visitors in our first year. Thank you.
- 27th June. Been a bit quiet for a while, getting out-bid at all the auctions! One new picture today, on the 8th 'non-Show' page. The Gallery.
- 2nd June. One new picture, on the 8th 'non-Show' page. The Gallery.
- 23rd May. Picture of Mizzi Günther, the original Merry Widow, added to Biography page.
- 12th May. After many weeks of waiting, I finally have a copy of Elsie's last will, several new lines of enquiry result.
- 7th May. Several more pictures added to various pages today, including, People, Theatres.
- 6th May. Twenty three new pictures added this evening. This is the result of my visit to the Cheltenham postcard fair yesterday. The cards appear in non-show 7 and 8, Dollar Princes 2, Count of Luxembourg, and Merry Widow 2. The Gallery.
- 5th May. Another sound recording added today, but not as good quality as previously. Sound Recordings.
- 1st May. Two more pictures, one in the 7th 'non-show' page, the other on the 2nd Merry Widow page. The Gallery.
- 25th April. Another three new pictures today, two in the 7th 'non-show' page, the third on the 2nd Merry Widow page. The Gallery.
- 23rd April. Three more pictures today, two in the 7th 'non-show' page, the third on the 2nd Dollar Princess page. The Gallery. One of these cards, from 1907, has the message written in Spanish. I'm surprised that with nearly 200 cards in this collection this is the only one not in English.
- 21st April. I've added a complete listing of all the postcards, with serial numbers, to download from The Postcard page.
- 18th April. One nice picture today, 7th 'non-show' page. The Gallery.
- 12th April. Four more pictures today, all in the 7th 'non-show' page. The Gallery. Including this super wedding photo.
- 6th April. Photo of Waterloo Road, London, where Elsie was living in 1901. 1901 Census.
- 3rd April. Two lovely pictures to add today, from 1907, starting off our 7th 'non-show' page. The Gallery.
- 2nd April. One new picture today, from 1905, on the 6th 'non-show' page. The Gallery.
- 31st March. Lovely picture just in from the USA. Late 1920s I'd say, see the 6th 'non-show' page. The Gallery.
- 21st March. Just one new picture today, on the 6th 'non-show' page. The Gallery.
- 19th March. Five new pictures. Four on the 6th 'non-show' page and one for The Count of Luxembourg. The Gallery.
- 12th March. Two new pictures on the Waltz Dream page in The Gallery. Three more on A Waltz Dream page. Several other minor additions.
- 7th March. Picture and information added to the Hunting page relating to Ion Bullough's time in Ireland - 1915. Thanks again to Randy Bigham for this.
- 6th March. A new page in The Gallery for The Little Cherub. This is the first picture I have seen from this 1906 show. Also some pictures from a recent visit to London added to The Biography page, more to follow soon.
- 5th March. A picture of Ada Reeve, Elsie's Aunt by marriage on the 'People' page.
- 27th February. An interesting addition to the 'Scrap Book'. Text from 'The Green Room Book', kindly provided by Mr Colin Harris.
- 26th February. Another addition to the 'People' page. A brief biography of Lucile by Randy Bigham.
- 24th February. Some great pictures of Ion Bullough added to the 'People' page. Many thanks to George W Randall for these.
- 16th February. One new picture in The Gallery from The Count of Luxembourg. This card appears to be to Elsie from Bertram Wallis, however I suspect this is not genuine.
- Scan of theatre program for Veronique added to People page. Scan of theatre program for Merry Widow added to Merry Widow page. Scan of theatre program for The Count of Luxembourg added to Count of Luxembourg page.
Various minor additions to other pages including, biography, and people. 14 pages updated in total today.
- 11th February. Minor addition to 'People' page..
- 10th February. Contemporary descriptions of some of Elsie's Lucile dresses..
- 5th February. An example of Elsie's handwriting in the Scrap book.
- 4th February. Just 1 new picture in The Gallery See 'non-show' gallery No. 6. Not very exciting I'm afraid.
- 31st January. Site Map. A complete listing of all the pages.
- 27th January. 2 New pictures in The Gallery See 'non-show' gallery No. 6.
- 19th January. More fascinating adverts from 1909.
- 14th January. A new page of contempory adverts from 1907 and 1909.
- 13th January. 11 New pictures in The Gallery Another new gallery page, this one for The Truth Game.
- 12th January. 4 New pictures in The Gallery A new gallery page for The Blue Train.
- 8th January. 1 New picture in The Gallery Nice picture I've just purchased from the USA, in 'non-show' gallery No. 6. Also added more original sound recordings of Elsie, as below.
- 2nd January. Happy New Year!
First experiments with adding sound to the web pages. Recordings. A sample of Elsie singing 'The Blue Train' from 1927 should start automatically as the page loads. Requires MP3 compatible browser.
- 24th December. 2 New pictures in The Gallery One from The Dollar Princess and one from A Chinese Honeymoon.
- 23rd December. Some notes on Howard and Bullough the family business of Elsie's husband. Also some pictures of Ion Bullough.
- 20th December. Just purchased a program from 1904 production of A Chinese Honeymoon. New information and scans added to the shows page. Also some super 1904 adverts for the fashions page.
- 18th December. New pictures in The Gallery Just one new picture today, postmarked June 1904. This could be from The Cingalee or perhaps A Chinese Honeymoon, I'm not sure so it's placed in non-show gallery No. 6. [Now moved to A Chinese Honeymoon]
- 15th December. Marriage and Death Certificates
Images and text from Elsie's Marriage and Death Certificates.
- 14th December. New pictures in The Gallery Two from A Waltz Dream and one in non-show gallery No. 6.
- 10th December. New pictures in The Gallery Six from The Dollar Princes and one in non-show gallery No. 6.
- 10th December. Lucile's memoirs The designer Lucy Duff-Gordon ('Lucile') makes many references to Elsie in her memoirs. These give us a most interesting insight into her personality. I have included Lucile's comments in the general text pages, but also gathered them all together here.
- 9th December. Biography and Scrap Book. Minor changes to reflect new information now that I have copies of Elsie's marriage and death certificates.
- 9th December. This 'What's New?' page. To guide returning visitors to new material.